Wednesday, April 13, 2011

First Garden Days

Wesley and I went to the work day at our local community garden in hopes of getting a garden plot. We are on the waitlist, but I think Wesley won them over, so they are going to let us have some space. The garden is very beautiful and well-tended with many raised beds. It is three blocks from our house and borders on the Dog Park which is ideal for Wesley's current fascination with canines.


Wesley loves the garden. I set him down in the children's tepee area and he went at it. He dug a hole in the dirt, spent a lot of time time picking up and throwing down straw, investigated the tepee itself, and tried to eat the leaves off some young pea plants. He was one happy kid. There are so many exciting things to explore outside on the ground, and Wesley is ecstatic when we bring him to the garden or the park.


I love the idea of Wesley eating fresh, organic vegetables out of the garden. I like that from a young age he will be connected to growing food, playing in the dirt, and tasting the freshness of the season. I look forward to having the freshest produce possible.


He may be too young this summer to entirely understand the concept of gardening, but he already enjoys being outside, exploring the interesting landscape, and watching us weed. He thought pulling weeds and shaking the dirt off the roots was hilarious.


I have never been much of a gardener, but I love the community garden and it felt great to be out there with Casey and Wesley. I am already salivating for homegrown heirloom tomatoes and massive amounts of basil. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Wesley looks so big here! I love the picture of his hands! Love, Patricia

    ReplyDelete