Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Wavy Seams

Three days before Wesley's first Halloween, we still didn't know what he was going to be. I thought, "Maybe I could sew him a costume".

I have not sewn anything since an American Flag pillow in seventh grade Home Economics.
I do not own a sewing machine.
I did not bother to use a pattern.

With every eyeballed snip of the fabric and every quick stitch of the seam, I thought, "I'll just do this really fast and see if it looks anything like a {sleeve, leg, hood} so if it doesn't work, at least I haven't invested much time". It was a liberating, free flowing way to work.

And it did work. well enough. And I had great fun doing it. Sewing without the meticulousness of sewing.

I used a dress that was in the "go to Goodwill" box, and a helmet. And Wesley the Turtle emerged...



No trick-or-treaters came by our house, so we hit the streets carrying a bowl distributing "Candy On The Go". Three blocks from our house the streets were so full on both sides of the avenue that we had to walk on the street. Shoulder to shoulder for blocks and blocks and blocks...adults dressed up...kids filing up Victorian steps to get candy...


But, the biggest hit of the night, if I'm honest, was the candy bowl itself...


No comments:

Post a Comment