Thursday, October 28, 2010

Smells like Halloween

When I took the lid off my pumpkin, it smelled like Halloween. It was a pleasant scent surprise full of memories.

The last time Casey and I carved a pumpkin together we were sophomores in college. It sat on the counter in my dorm room for a couple of weeks. We were still best-friends-that-everyone-thought-were-secretly-dating. This was it:



Now, we have a whole family of jack-o-lanterns...



I went and found the college picture after I started writing this post. Casey's current pumpkin looks a lot like it...he must have stored the design in his brain under "best pumpkin carving ever" and unwittingly recreated it.

Here is our little pumpkin eater....



Around town nobody else has carved pumpkins. We are new to the outdoor pumpkin carving scene. It is possible we will have green spotted pumpkins by Halloween. I have no clue when you're supposed to carve a pumpkin.

People in this community do, however, take their Halloween decorations seriously. This house has entirely converted itself into a pirate ship...


I love living in a community that dresses up for the holidays. A community where it is easy and safe to walk around and see all the skeletons, and pumpkins, and crows, and witches...

No comments:

Post a Comment