Friday, December 17, 2010

Month 5 *Here and Gone*

I don't mean for this blog to just be a monthly update of Wesley. But this month has brought a couple weeks of lost internet and a couple weeks of a lost camera cord, so that's how it goes...here is a glimpse at the month, which has been a big one.

As I write this, it feels inappropriate to do a month in review because this month I had the biggest death I've ever experienced. My grandpa passed away. I have been thinking of him a lot this past month. This is what I wrote which was read at the funeral:

I just want to share these thoughts with you all, with Grandma, in celebration of Grandpa's life.

I wish that I could be with everyone there sharing stories. Wesley is still too little to make the trip, but we're thinking of you all. Casey and I are thinking and talking a lot about Grandpa, about the times we all shared together and about memories from my childhood.

Together for my High School Graduation

I've been thinking a lot the last two days about how thankful I am that Casey and I got to live nearby for a year and a half. Before, when I had visited Grandma and Grandpa, it was usually for the holidays when many people were around. My time with Grandpa was generally spent sitting across from one another at the card table (and we spend many wonderful hours there, more than most people wanted to, but Grandpa was always up for a game. I think he's the only one other than myself that never groans at the mention of Shoot the Moon). Afterwards, he'd retire to his chair--he was usually quiet in these large group settings. In the past couple of years when I lived in Fairfield, I saw a different side of Grandpa. The side of him that was a great storyteller. I learned more about his childhood, his days in the Navy, and his early years with Grandma. It was wonderful.


Many of my memories of Grandpa involve wood. As a child, he would show me the sawmill. I would venture into his private workshop which smelled so special--like sawdust and mystery. I would gaze in amazement at the things he would make. I'd run marbles down the marble mazes he'd carved, I'd stare impressed at the wooden chains hanging in his office, and when I was slightly older, I would delicately place my jewlery in the beautiful box he'd made for me.


Now I gaze at my first real Christmastree--the first Christmas tree for his only Great Grandson--and the beautiful wooden ornaments stand out--everyone who sees the tree marvels at their beauty. He has left many beautiful things behind. I wish I could be there with you all. To give you all big hugs and to mourn and to celebrate together. You are all in my heart.

Love,
Melissa


And here is the little man I wish could have met his Great Grandpa...

We had Thanksgiving...



We went on some beautiful walks...

My sweet love turned 28 years old on November 28 (with 28 gifts on his Golden Birthday). We had a birthday breakfast in Napa with a gorgeous walk...



We spent the day with Godmother Norma and played with her toys...


We enjoyed the Holiday Open House and a Lighted Boat Parade...


We got a Christmas Tree, and presents began arriving in the mail (there are now more than are pictured)...


We moved to a larger diaper size...


Wesley learned to support himself while sitting and playing (with supervision as he falls over very frequently. He doesn't seem to mind capsizing. He's getting better at catching himself, too)...

Wesley is trying so hard to crawl. He can pivot to get his toys. He can push up with straight arms, he can reach and play with his toys when his arms are straight. Occasionally (like, a couple times) he has inchwormed forward. On his five month birthday was the first day I saw him trying out a new technique of bending a knee up, which may prove more successful than flapping his arms and legs which has led to some frustration this month...

2 comments:

  1. Such a very big month! Your grandfather's ornaments are numinous, ones that will fascinate Wesley for years to come, a delicate gift from his great grandfather. My mother used to comment on how quickly life happens. In the space of this year you have witnessed a big passing and a big arrival. Life is so very precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And... what a beautiful tribute to your grandfather, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete